How to take care of 3 week old kittens?

I have offered to foster kittens for my animal shelter expect they have been 5 weeks + and were pretty mature (could eat solid food, knew how to use the litter box, etc) My animal shelter has asked me to foster 3 week old kittens with a mother and although they said the mom pretty much does everything i'd still like to know details and background knowledge about kittens this age. Please share experience and tips!

Asked by Member 1112446 on May 24th 2012 in Kittens

Answers

You are extremely lucky that the momma cat comes with the package deal! Otherwise, you'd become the momma and be up, 24/7 every few hours feeding the babies, cleaning them, etc. Yes, the mom does 99% of the work. Right now, make sure she is in a quiet place away from all other animals and prying eyes. Visit occasionally, but only you and only for a few moments to change the litter box and feed her. Speak softly to her and do not overhandle the kittens. After a few weeks, help her wean them by mixing kitten wet food with a little KMR milk replacer to a goopy mess and feed them off your finger. You'll then have to help her clean them up. They'll make a mess! Make sure that the room she's in is free of any holes in the wall such a uncovered vents, etc. "baby-proof" if you will, to keep the famiily safe. Good luck! Join Catster and post baby pictures!!!