Belle

How to stop an obnoxious cat from being so obnoxious??

Belle is a very obnoxious cat and it drives us wild sometimes. she never stays off the table - i have tried sticky tape, aluminum foil, and squirting her with water - nothing works permanently. and she just drives us crazy when she wants attention.

when she's not getting enough attention, she will get up on the table, and jump onto our countertop....she's also been known to knock over full pop cans, so the pop spills all over the floor. she also rips up newspapers sitting on our coffee table. i try to ignore her, but then she just amps it up. like if she's on the table, and i blatantly ignore her, she will come over to the coffeetable near where i am and start shredding newspapers.

i try to play with her like 15-30 minutes per day, and she's got a funhouse to play in, and TONS of toys to play with, but it never seems enough to wear her out. she's an adult cat, but still acts like a kitten! please, does anyone have any suggestions? i don't have enough money to buy her a kitty friend.

Asked by Belle on Oct 22nd 2009 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

I think that more than obnoxious, Belle is bored. She obviously needs more playtime with you than you are giving her. My cats don't play with their toys unless I join in. Yesterday, after getting our house ready for potential buyers to tour it, Izzie knocked over a full vase of water and flowers. I knew he was just being curious about what I was doing. He will also lay on the computer keyboard at night, but I know that it's time for his nightly wet food. Try to learn to read Belle's "signals" to you. If she jumps up on the table, that might be your cue for a little laser tag or feather teaser time. I truly believe she is just crying out for more interaction with you.