Rascal

How to stop a female cat from spraying inside the house?

Rascal & her sister were adopted a few months apart, they are both 6 yrs old. These last few years have been so stressful I know my cats have had as much trouble adjusting as we have.
Our house was nearly foreclosed & it was up for sale for months. Rascal started spraying inside the house during that time & now she sprays inside our apartment. This is not a medical problem - we've been to the vet. I tried Felliway but can't afford it all the time & it doesn't work anyway. Tried "prozac" for cats & that was awful, took her off right away. Help!

Asked by Rascal on Aug 20th 2008 in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Answers

Since you mentioned Feliway & Prozac, I'm assuming you've read up on the problem. I wish I had the answer for both of us. I do feel your frustration and stress. My spayed female(s) does the same. I believe it's territorial in my house because of too many cats. However my mom's cat does the same thing and he's the only cat in the house! Thanks for the review that Prozac does not work, I've been considering trying it. I can't have throw rugs or carpeting in my house or it gets peed on (sometimes even furniture). Try an extra litterbox, check box location, try another litter, make sure to clean box everyday etc. Stress of changes, other animals could be part of the problem. The spraying stresses me out so maybe it's a cycle of back & forth cat to human? I've searched behaviorist advice and it seems to be the same info. Good luck & please post the miracle answer if you find it!