How to remove smells and stains from carpeting?

We are in the process of selling our home. As a former animal rescue worker, my carpeting has the "accidents" of many cats/dogs on it. Although I have my carpets professionally cleaned once a month and own a steam vac and scrub regularly with Nature's Miracle, the people who come to see our house still comment that they can smell pet urine. It's getting VERY frustrating as I've used every product I can think of to remove the odors and stains. Personally, I don't notice them, but feedback from our realtor says that people can pick up the odor as soon as they come in the front door. This is embarrassing and can ultimately affect the sale and/or price of our home. Is our only option to spend thousands to replace the carpet? HELP!!!

Asked by Izadore (Izzie) on Aug 4th 2009 in Odor Eliminators

Answers

Minuit AKA Miss Meany

Carpet cleaning only gets the surface, it doesn't get down to the underlay and this is where your problem is coming from.
Replacing only the underlay will be way cheaper than replacing the entire carpet. Once this is replaced, give your carpets a good cleaning and the problem should be resolved.
A lot of carpet stores will have left over underlay at a discount price.
Spending a little money will go a long way in selling your home.
Good luck to you.
I used this method when training my puppy and it worked awesome.
www.catsofaustralia.com

Minuit AKA Miss Meany answered on 8/4/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Atrus

Honestly, you have to spend money to make money. If you can find someone who will make an offer on the house, I can basically guarantee that they will request in the contract that the carpets be replaced. Or, their offer will be far under the list price.If you really do clean your carpets that thoroughly and so frequently, they must be really bad to still be noticeable to people who just walked in. I'm going to assume they are fairly old as well? People will request a dollar amount lower than th LP much more than is necessary to replace the carpets, simply for the inconvenience of having to do it themselves to a house they just purchased. If you replace them, you will be able to advertise a house with brand new carpeting, and can probably raise your list price by more than you had to spend on the carpet itself, and probably get it.

Okay, I ran out of room. Consider making a forum topic about this maybe? I'm buying a house now and do know a fair bit about the market and how things wor

Atrus answered on 8/4/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sabre

It sounds messy but when my parents were selling their house they poured a little baking soda on the urine spot then just like in chemistry class...vinegar. It goes deep into the carpet. You may have people comment that it smells like vinegar but isn't that better than pet urine?

Sabre answered on 8/4/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Charlie

I don't know that I believe people when they say that they can smell the urine. If you have had your carpets professionally cleaned & even own a steam vac- I doubt they can smell any urine! I'm guessing they see U have pets & assume that pets have urinated on the carpet- U know how anal people can be in obsessing that animals are "filthy" creatures. Can your pets hide out at a family or friend's house when U have a walk through with a potential buyer? Then just light some candles & play some soft music (this has been shown to increase interest in the home anyways). They won't even know U have pets. When we had our house recently appraised I did a good steam vac before he came, then lit some candles & he never even knew we had cats. And if u have a stain on your carpet- so what? kids make stains and no one questions those- you can't expect perfect carpet in a "Lived in" house. I think people R just giving U a hard time because of their opinions about animals in the house.

Charlie answered on 8/4/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

♥ Tasha ♥

I think Atrus might be right- you may have to replace the rug, but you can probably make the money back with the sale. I have heard that you can't smell odors in your own home- but people who visit will, so this is probably the case with your home. I hope you find a solution that works for you!

♥ Tasha ♥ answered on 8/4/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Maggie

Hi Izzie

Try this
1. Be certain to scoop the litter boxes just before the showing( I am sure you already do that, but mentioning it any way)
2. Just before the showing, sprinkle carpet fesh very lightly on carpet , but don't vacumn up - Especially near the baseboards, closet areas etc.
3.Open windows if it is a nice day to let in fresh air.
4. Bake cookies ( even the slice and bake kind will work) or simmer cinnamon and apples on the stove a while before the showing.
5. Make sure it is not a throw rug that is smelly.
6. Consider offering an allowance to the buyer for new flooring. Often even if the carpet is in great condition and unscented , it may not match the new owners taste so regardless of any odor not not, this could be a nice selling point on your property. Depending on the value of your home $1000 tp $2500 would be a good amount.

Sometimes people mistake other odors for kitty- double check to make sure anything else that might cause a sour smell is cleaned up

Maggie answered on 8/4/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Licorice

Yo can go to the store and buy stuff for your carpet from arm and hammer. I'm sure it will work I've seen it in cat fancy and other magazines.

Licorice answered on 8/5/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer