Tesla Curie

How to litter train a kitten

I just found out Tesla was never introduced to a litter box and that her and her siblings used a blanket as a bathroom area. To make matters worse when I asked the owner of the mom he said that the mom started using the blanket too because he would lock her in the room with the kittens when he was at work. She has a litter box in her safe room which she can get in and out of but peed in her basket instead. What is the best way to show her how to use the box?

Asked by Tesla Curie on Apr 13th 2013 Tagged litternottrainedbox in Litter Box Training

Answers

I would think for now she can't have a blanket in the room with her, sad, but probably necessary. If she jsut has the litter box, maybe she will use it. Also, if she poops on the floor, scoop it up and put it in the litter box so she understands that poop goes in there. Maybe that will work? I have never had this issue, so hopefully someone with more experience will give better advice. That and you need to make sure you thouroughly clean any areas she has peed on, with natures miracle or white vinegar, to get the pee smell out of the floor, or she will jsut pee there again.

Oh, dear. Sounds like she didn't have a very good life with her previous owner. They do make a litter called "Cat Attract" and I've heard it works. You can also try a Feliway Plug-in, but I've have limited success with those. Until she is reliably using the litter box, perhaps you should keep her in her "safe room". Visit her in there and play with her as often as you can. When Izzie was in my den after I rescued him, if I had to leave, I'd turn a radio or even the television on in there. If Tesla hasn't been vetted, take her in and make sure she has no bladder infection. If you want to give her access to your home, it's rather inconvenient and not a very great home decor idea, but put boxes out anyplace you can. That way, there's always one handy for her. Keep towels, blankets and even throw-rugs out of her "reach", and as Beep said, wash any she has used in hot water and even bleach if you can. Good luck. She's adorable!