how to know if his injured leg needs medical attention

He injured his leg days ago and limped for a while but is now using it as he does the others but it's swollen and looks "blue" underneath the hair. We can't really afford a vet; what can we do?

Asked by Member 818631 on Mar 22nd 2009 in Emergencies & First Aid

Answers

You don't say whether he will let you touch it. But cats have a higher pain tolerance than people anyway. Though he's walking on it, the swelling and color are bad signs. He could have a sprain (not so bad), a fracture (maybe bad), or a bite/injury (could go either way).

Cats' wounds close up quickly. But an infection can fester, and form a soft lump, an abscess, under the skin, sometimes much later. Untreated, an infection could spread through his body, a serious risk. Then he may get a fever, and stop eating/drinking/grooming - even go off and hide.

If an abscess doesn't burst, it MUST be drained. If it bursts, it usually stinks. Not treating an abscess with antibiotics is risky. Infection could spread to the bone, eat away muscle, even kill the cat. A bad abscess may also require stitches.

A fracture might or might not require splinting, and confinement.

Definitely keep him inside! The Animal Rescue League, SPCA, or Humane Society might offer low-income vet services.

I would call your Humane Society or ASPCA about a low cost clinic and have him looked at. Sounds like it's bruised, and you want to make sure there's not a fracture.

Tabby

Hi,
In my opinion I would say a blue color is definitely indicative of irregular blood flow to that area... can be a blood clot. It is highly unlikely that the cat will show any signs of pain because they are not designed to do so in nature. So my suggestion like the others would be contacting a vet (A call is inexpensive though!)
You can first call them and explain the injury and also ask them if there is any symptom that needs immediate medical attention. Ask them if you can get a credit care plan (where in you can pay the Vet back in installments) for the expenses incurred and that would be without interest I think.

Tabby answered on 3/23/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sydney

i would call the vet and see if you can pay in installments. ASAP. cats dont usually show pain. my cat had an injury. trying to open the door and she fell off a book shelf. she didnt cry but she always held up her one paw when standing. and she didnt let me touch it. she would pull it away. the vet gave me some antibotics it was just a sprain. the vet told me u will be amazed by how fast a cat can heal himself. infections are bad for kitties once it gets into the blood. its even worse. hope its nothing serious. poor guy :(

Sydney answered on 6/13/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer