How to help possible stray giving birth in winter

There is a pregnant cat that, in the past week, has spent a lot of time on my porch. I'm not sure if she's feral, outdoor, or lost. I'm thinking lost because she doesn't move when sees me, but hisses if she thinks I'm going to touch her. It's almost winter and I'm worried that she'll have her kittens outside and they will die in the cold. Is there anything I can do? I can't make a decent shelter since I'm renting and not allowed to do much to the porch or outside areas.
Since she seems to love my porch, is there something small I can put out there? I'm kind of worried she's an outdoor cat, and if I make an area for her, she'll have her babies outside of her owners house.

Asked by Member 1137985 on Oct 28th 2012 Tagged wintersurvival in Health & Safety

Answers

Biscuit

I think you should leave this one to the experts- either call the shelter or animal control. That way, they can give her professional help and care that she probably needs. Also, you don't know if this cat has some serious health issues going on, so you probably don't want to take any chances.

Biscuit answered on 10/28/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I know your heart is in the right place, but if you encourage this cat to have kittens on your porch, you have pretty much taken responsibility for them and the mom cat. Can you ask around to see if anyone knows where she lives? It is possible to purchase a medium size cat carrier and fit it out with blankets, etc. This is what we did when I worked with animal rescue. However, as I said before if you encourage this cat to come to the porch, you need to deal with what will happen. Good luck. I hope everything works out and you find out where she lives.