How to get dog to calm down around kitten

Hi my room mate has a husky and she is a year old, she likes my kitten a lot he's 8 weeks old, but she is kind of hyper and she whines at night whenever she hears my kitten meow mostly cause my kitten wants to get back into my room but I put him in the office cause I need to sleep, and then the dog wants to play with the kitten but we keep him in the living room at night, and we dont trust them together alone yet cause we've had the kitten less then a week.

Asked by Member 824572 on Apr 9th 2009 Tagged kitten, dog, husky in Exercise & Play

Answers

You are absolutely right for not leaving the dog alone with the kitty. Kittens think everyone wants to play with them. Unfortunately, the dog may have different ideas. I have a Husky mix and she is fine with my large Maine Coon, Izzie, but I also have a small kitty, Lily Rose and she looks at Lily as prey. Until the kitty is very familiar with hiding spots in your home (like under furniture and on top of things where the dog can't reach him) you may even want to keep the dog on a leash when they're together. My Husky recently grabbed Lily by the back of the neck and shook her. It all happened so fast I couldn't react. Lily was fine, but it scared me very badly! Your Husky does not realize that the kitten is an adorable little baby and will become her "brother from another mother" one day. You need to be extremely careful when you let the two of them interact. You can also discipline the dog when she becomes too "rough"-not physically but with words, Praise for good behavior works too!

Trixy

I think it will just take time until the Husky gets used to the kitten being there. Some Huskys have a high prey drive to that you need to watch out for. When you have the two of them together any time the dog is clam around the cat give her a treat. That way she understands that being clam she then gets a treat. My dog was the same way he is a little over a year old and I just got a very little kitten about 3 weeks ago. They still aren't left alone together. My dog would try and step onthe kitten to hold her still I guess. I really worked on his "leave it" command. Anytime my dog would go around my cat I told him "leave it" and if he walked away then I gave him a treat. If the dog in your house can't do that then keep her on a leash until they become ok with each other or your kitten can run away. Or ask your room mate if you both can work on some training. Good Luck.

Trixy answered on 4/10/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer