How to clean a dirty cat tree?

You know, those carpeted contraptions with shelves of various heights for cats to climb on and lounge in? My two cats have been loving their cat tree for a few years now, and the top shelf in particular is so dirty it's a darker color than the rest of the tree (gross). Should I try steam-cleaning it by renting a carpet steam-cleaner from a grocery store, with a nozzle attachment? Or should I throw the whole thing out and get a new one?

Thanks for your advice!!

Asked by Member 1145461 on Dec 16th 2012 Tagged cattree, cleaning, steamcleaning, dirty in Pet Products

Answers

George

Try using a steam cleaner or a small shampooer. Don't throw it aways unless you have to, I'm sure your kitties still like it just fine.

George answered on 12/16/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Taffy AKA

A furminator is the most awesome tool I have ever used to clean the cat tree. We use it more on the cat tree than we do on the cats! We tried vacuuming, tape, then we got a fork and were digging the hair out...which was working, when we got the idea to try to furminator. Works like you can't imagine! You have to try it. Then once it's done, a shark steam mop that has a carpet glider attachment, you can steam all the nasties out with that. Voila! All clean!

Taffy AKA "Turd Ferguson" answered on 1/8/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Fiona

How big is it? You could go to a "do it yourself" car wash, vacuum and wash it with the stuff you would the coin operated car carpet cleaner. You will have to let it dry out first. I haven't tested this out by any means on cat furniture, but I did it with a giant teddy bear and a banana chair I bought at a garage sale. It gave me peace of mind and it meant no mess at home...

Fiona answered on 3/4/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer