Mr. Michael Whiskers

How to calm my cat during a 12 hour car ride?

I have to move and my cat hates car ride. He freaks out.
I need tips about how to calm him down during the 12 hour car trip.

Thanks,
~Gwen :3

Asked by Mr. Michael Whiskers on Sep 24th 2012 Tagged car, rides, scared in Car Travel

Answers

We had to travel with our maniac Springer Spaniel from Toronto to Cleveland, Ohio when we got her as a pup and it actually went pretty well, better than expected. Drugging her is not an option as that can backfire and make her sick. Get a carrier that is large and put a favorite blanket and toy in there. Before you go, try taking her in the carrier for short rides that get progressively longer. Praise her and cuddle her. If you can, try to break the trip up with frequent stops and find a pet friendly hotel. She should not be left loose in the car and if you do spend the night in a hotel, you will need to be extra vigilant so she doesn't escape.

My cat usually chucks up when traveling and this helps
I dilute three drops of Bach flower rescue remedy with water and spray it around the cage
You can also get rescue remedy for pets already in a sprayer