How should I introduce a new cat to my 3 cat home?

I'm adopting a kitty from a friend who can no longer care for him (he's young, maybe 9 months old). He's coming from a house that he has shared with an older cat. He's had some peeing outside of the litterbox issues that I hope will be resolved by neutering (he's undergoing the procedure before I take him). I want to reduce stress on him as much as possible as he's not only coming into a home of new kitties but to two brand new owners as well. How should I approach this? Any advice or tips?

Asked by Member 1150953 on Jan 20th 2013 Tagged adoption, introducingnewcat, stressreduction in Bringing Your Pet Home

Answers

When you bring the newbie home, set him up in his own room with a box, food, water and a place like a closet or under a bed or even a carrier to hide in. Close the door. Visit him often to tell him how wonderful he is and that's its not his fault he had to leave his other home. A few times a day, let him out of the room to explore your home and put the other 3 cats in that room to explore where newbie has been. For the Resident Cats, keep your schedule as normal as possible. This process may take a week or more, so putting newbie in a bathroom would be inconvenient to say the least. I had Izzie in my den where my computer was. I spent a lot of time in that room and he got used to my presence. After interest in shown as to "what" is in the room, you can try supervised visits. There will be hissing and growling and chasing. Then he goes back into the room. For more advice, chat with your vet who knows your resident kitties.