How often should a 5 week old kitten poop?

I have a kitten that is somewhere between 4 and 6 weeks old. It still has to be stimulated to make it use the potty. She is urinating everytime I stimulate her but have had her for one whole day and she hasn't pooped? Is this normal? What should I do? She is eating some canned kitten food mixed with replacement milk. I am trying my best to keep her healthy. Any advice?

Asked by Member 906307 on Oct 29th 2009 Tagged poopusebathroom in Health & Safety

Answers

It sounds like you are doing exactly what you should be doing. A kitten who is eating well should go poop every 48 hours or so. You can try adding a few drops of cooking oil to her food. When you stimulate her, you an also rub her tummy from the chest down to simulate digestion. If she still hasn't pooped by the end of the day, I would definitely call a vet since the weekend is coming. Good luck. Keep us updated on the baby!

Ayla

I got Ayla when she was 4 weeks old. It took her 2 days before she pooped. I think because she was stressed and nervous in a new place. After that she was pooping like 4 times a day. Now that she is 7 weeks, she usually goes 2 times a day sometimes 3. Sounds normal. I would give her or him another day or so, then call a vet if still no relief.

Ayla answered on 10/30/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Hunter

A 5 week old kitten shouldn't need stimulation to urinate or defecate. I would take the kitten to the vet to have a full exam performed.

Hunter answered on 11/1/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer