How much water to give cats?

I have three kittens and a 1-year old cat. I have been leaving out an oversized bowl of water for them every day (and refill it 1-2 times per day, as needed), but I decided it might be best to get a bowl with the jug/reservoir attached.

I'm trying to decide how much they might need, though. Is 1 gallon reservoir enough, or do I need the 2.5 gallon for 4 cats?

Asked by Member 1140346 on Jan 11th 2013 Tagged water, multiplecats in Other Food & Nutrition

Answers

Cats aren't big water drinkers. Where my dogs will stand at the bowl for 5 minutes, my 3 cats lap up a few drops and then they're on their way. They do have water available in 2 places in my house. I have a Drinkwell Platinum large "waterer" for my dogs on the floor that Izzie and Lizzie drink out of. And for Delilah the Divine Diva, I have a small Drinkwell that's next to a plain old bowl of water on the feeding table. Cats like moving water and the Drinkwell is constantly moving and filtering the water. It's a pain to clean, but it's important that cats, expecially males who get bladder issues, drink a lot. Cats also get fluid from wet (canned) food. You don't really need the 2.5 gallon. The 1 gallon will be fine as long as you keep an eye on it and refill it. There's no way your cats could drink a gallon of water each day. But do consider the fountains that continually move and filter the water. Petmate makes one, too.

Joey

I have a funny story about pet fountains - Joey (my oldest cat), well before his bladder stone issue, we had a fountain with the reservoir attached. Well he is highly attracted to low frequency noises like electric shavers and such and it made that kind of vibrating noise. So he was fascinated by it - until one day - he knocked it over and the gallon of water spilled out all over the floor and it ran dry, and as loud as a jackhammer, for hours until I got home! Needless to say he will never go near another one. After Joey's bladder stone problem he switched to an exclusively wet diet and now rarely has a need to drink - although a bowl is always offered. Cats have a really low thirst drive so proper hydration is really important especially if they eat dry food. Take a look at different models - maybe one that isn't top heavy! LOL!

Joey answered on 1/11/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

My guys love the K&H Clean Flow that is on amazon with the cat or yorkie picture, reservoir or not. It is NOT noisy at all (low buzz) as long as the filter has a little bit of room underneath. I haven't attempted to clean it yet (yukk), but it's still fairly new and comes with cleaning prods and instructions. I can tell you that my cats are definitely drinking more, especially from the fountain, since they now have water up and downstairs! ^_^