How much should I feed my foster mother cat and her kittens?

The mother is about 3 years old. The kittens are now 7-8 weeks old. They still nurse occasionally (2-4x a day). How much should I feed the mama cat, and how much for the babies? They only eat a little bit of food, and if I leave it out for them, the mom eats it. Should I provide her with dry food? Should I try to stop them from nursing at this point?

Asked by Member 1173573 on Jun 3rd 2013 in Food & Nutrition

Answers

I do know that kittens and nursing mothers need a lot of food. They should be fed often. Wet food is WAY better for mom and kitttens, if you want the best health for them all, start the kittens out eating wet food instead of dry, they will be much healthier in the long run, and I don't even know if kittens can even chew kibble at this age. I would remove the mom and kittens when they are eating, so that you can ensure that kittens are getting food and that mom isn't eating it all. If mom is scarfing that food down, I would say she definitely needs more, she is not getting enough. It takes a lot of food for a nursing mother. I think they will slowly stop nursing on their own once they start eating more food, I would not think you need to interfere with that, it will happen.

Hello, to make sure that momma and babies are getting everything that they need, hopefully they are all eating kitten food until the babies are weaned. Then you can switch mom back to her healthy adult diet from before. Cheers!