Emma

how much dry food should i feed my cat?

As you can tell from the photo's she's got some weight to her. I've been feeding her 2 cans of wet food per day but I have decided to switch her to dry as it's better for my budget. I don't want to feed her to much but I also don't want her to starve. Some one told me I should feed her 3/4 cup twice a day. Is that about right?

Asked by Emma on Mar 15th 2010 in Pet Food

Answers

I would check with your vet to see what he/she recommends. Oscar J. eats dry food and he probably eats a cup or so for a whole day, but he's an indoor kitty who's a little on the big side. And that doesn't include his daily Temptations and the spoonful of milk he gets from Dad every morning.

Oscar actually prefers kibble to wet food. I tried giving him canned when he was younger and he kept giving me the "would YOU eat THAT?" look. LOL

Oscar J. is right. My cats have their dry food down all day. It's said that cats will stop eating when they're full, and mine do. Some vets recommend against free feeding because they claim the cats will gorge themselves, but mine don't and none are overweight. If she's finicky about the dry food, I guarantee you she won't starve and when she gets hungry enough, she'll eat it. Give her the wet food as a "treat" once or twice a day.

Joey

I was always told that the wet food is better for them - and dry in moderation. Joey has a history of bladder stones so extra moisture is key for him. He is a BIG boy too - 18 lbs - so free feeding can have its challenges if you have a hungry kitty! I give Joey a half of a small can of Fancy Feast in the morning and at night - and he gets 1/8 cup of dry in the morning and at night (your kitty can probably have more - Joey is dry food restricted). Try different things and see how your kitty does - you don't want the weight to come off too quickly and you want to make sure they get enough moisture in their diet.

Joey answered on 3/16/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Shadow

Take the weight of your cat times that by 13.6 and add 70 this is how many calories your cat should have in a day.. Too bad you are not feeding the wet, it is far better for a cat, and your cat will tend to gain more weight on a dry food. This is a very informative site to read.
www.blakkatz.com

Shadow answered on 3/16/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I feed my cat, Buddy the regular amount that he weighs. He weighs 10 pounds. So we give him a cup of dry food(The Goodlife Recipe). Its very healthy for him.

The honest-to-truth answer to your question is none. See www.catinfo.org by Dr. Lisa Pierson.
May also want to check out the Feline Diabetes message forum there where countless people are getting their Diabetic cats into remission. A cat will not become Diabetic in the first place if it's fed a species-appropriate diet consisting of meat protein and moisture, to begin with.

Because cats are obligate carnivores, with naturally low thirst drives, they are chronically dehydrated on dry food. Also carbohydrates wreak havoc on their blood glucose level.

If you need proof before your eyes, take a look into your cat's mouth. The teeth are designed like scissors (to shear and tear meat), they have no teeth shaped for grinding anything. Also their jaws don't rotate. When we consider how common vomiting & digestive issues in cats are, it makes sense.

Blockages, UTIs, Diabetes, among other issues, crop up when we least expect it. These things are very common in cats due to dry food.

i think you should maybe try 3 cups a day so maybe 1 cup in the morning 1 cup in the afternoon and 1 cup a night.