How many cats is too many?

How many cats is too many - both for an owner and for the health and happiness of all the cats? Is there a space to cat ratio or something? I want to adopt a bunch more cats, but I want to keep all their best interests at heart.

I don't know of any real reasons either *to* or *not to* have a certain number of cats...so I wonder if there's any real research out there?

Asked by Member 1140346 on Nov 12th 2012 Tagged multiplecats, howmanycats, toomanycats, numberofcats in Adoption & Rescue

Answers

I have heard maximum two cats per adult in the household. This is also what our city law states.

I commend you for wanting to help out with the overwhelming overpopulation of cats by giving as many as you can a home. But, sometimes what seems like a good idea at the time turns out not to be. Caring for cats takes up time. 2 or 3 is not much more work than 1, but when it gets to 5 or 6, it IS. Each cat must have it's own box or it will use floors, beds, bathtubs, sinks, etc. Scooping and scrubbing many boxes takes time. Then, there's vet care. When one of the cats becomes ill, you MUST take it to the vet. People write to us here and ask us to diagnose and prescribe treatment for their cats which is impossible over a computer. Vet bills can add up. Each cat must be socialized to be a good feline citizen. It must be altered and kept indoors. If you have the need to make a difference in the lives of cats, I would suggest volunteering at a shelter, or even fostering cats for a rescue.It's better to own 1 or 2 cats who are pampered and loved than many who just "exist" in a herd.