Jigsaw

How long can I leave my two cats alone with automatic feeders?

I am a full-time grad student and I am going home for the holidays and to do research. I will be gone 2 1/2 weeks. I am having a hard time finding someone able to take care of them right around Christmas, but there is someone who can come the other days. I do NOT trust my neighbors. I have an automatic feeder and waterer and two litter boxes, and am considering another litter box for while I'm gone.

The cats keep each other company very well (mommy cat and 6-month baby).

I don't want to leave them at all, but my airline won't let me bring two pets and that would be sooo expensive, anyhow.

Asked by Jigsaw on Dec 7th 2008 Tagged vacation in Travel & Recreation

Answers

i wonder if a professional pet-sitting service might be cheaper than taking your cats with you. All in all, the peace of mind knowing that someone would be checking on them daily could be worth the expense. You could ask for financial contributions to this rather than gifts from your family for Christmas.

I agree with Izzie's idea. I use pet sitters. As long as your cats are vaccinated you can look for a service in your local paper or ask at your vet for a recommendation. I have them come every day when I am away because I have so many cats and because mine require brushing and lots of attention. But you could probably get away with every other day or even just a couple of times a week. I pay about $17 a visit , but that would be less for fewer cats. I would not leave them more than 2 or 3 days without somebody coming in because you never know what could happen. The feeder could fail to operate, they could knock over the water, they could get injured or sick. But then again, I am paranoid. I had sitters AND I have a friend who comes to double check on the sitters if I go away.

Snert

WE have three cats and we do not rely on automatic feeders. We ask friends and neighbors to visit and check on them and even stay over so that they have someone with them for part days with a maximum of 3-4 days in a row with no one there (with many bowls of food and water). This takes some scheduling but we have had sets of people volunteer for certain days or weekends to stay in our house coupled with people who agreed to stop by, pet and visit, feed and maybe clean out the cat boxes for most of the other days.
Cats get lonely and bored without their pet people for long stretches. They need some attention. Locked up with 2 litter boxes , they would still need litter changed once a week!!!! You would likely have cat protest pee and dump on the floor without changes. A pet-sitter for part of that time is essential if you cant find other help.
Maybe you can "trade tasks" with someone ...if you cant pay em.

Snert answered on 12/7/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Cleo (The Queen)

If it is only 2-3 days around Christmas they should be fine, but anymore than that I would get sitters. kittens and mommys need to be feed well, and cats do get lonely-you may come home to a huge mess if that happens. Good Luck-maybe a college student would do it for a place to crash over the holidays??

Cleo (The Queen) answered on 12/7/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer