How long after spaying should it take my cat to eat?

The local SPCA spayed my cat on Thursday. She has a cough/sneeze and was treated for a cold before the surgery. It is now Saturday evening and she still hasn't eaten or drank much. I've tried soft and hard foods and even heated the soft food for more aroma. I have taken the ecollar off to watch her eat. The SPCA recommended spraying a saline mist in her nose in case it is also the cold still. I've tried it once, and she wasn't too happy. Any other ideas?

Asked by Member 799165 on Jan 31st 2009 Tagged spay, eating, cold in Health & Wellness

Answers

Cats won't eat unless they can smell their food, and if she has an upper respiratory infection, she can't smell her food. Cats can begin to crash if not eating or drinking for three days. If she continues to not eat, you're going to have to contact the SPCA and ask them for advice. Keep in mind that she is still recovering from the anesthesia which can make cats nauseous and not want to eat, but she needs to eat to keep up her strength. You can also try jarred baby foods such as beef, lamb and chicken, also heated slightly to release the aroma and put it on your finger for her to lick off. But, your best bet is to contact the vet to make sure she has no secondary medical concerns.

Just to get your cat to start eating try regular Tuna Fish. The tuna in water kind. Drain the water and give it to her. I have never seen a cat turn down tuna fish. Giving it to her on a regular basis is not good for her, but once in a while to get her to eat something wont hurt.

I've had several cats spayed, and none of them seemed to have any problems when they came home (there was the famous case of Princess who jumped to the top of the 6 foot bookshelf in a single bound the day after surgery). Personally, I would take her to the vet since she doesn't seem to be recovering well. Also, I rather question the fact that the SPCA spayed here when she was obviously sick and immunocologically compromised. Spaying is important, but like any surgery, should be done when the animal is healthy. Sorry that this doesn't answer your question about feeding, but my instincts tell me that your cat needs to be seen by a vet.

Chibi answered on 2/1/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

More Questions in This Category