Miss Kitty

How do you keep a cat out of the Christmas tree?

I have a cat that is about 5 months old that loves to explore. I have put up the tree and was hoping that by having it up without the decorations to tempt her she would get use to it and not want to explore the entire tree. I would hate to have to keep her in the back part of the house when I am away so looking for advice. She is okay as long as I am home and call her away from the tree, and shaking her treat bag will bring her away from the tree, but she keeps going back to the tree and wanting to jump up into it. Help, any advice.

Asked by Miss Kitty on Nov 26th 2012 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

When my grandson was little, I'm sure he thought Izzie's name was "Get out of there, D*%+ it!" and that Christmas trees meow-ed. Cats are natural-born climbers and trees are natural climbees. They can't really differentiate between a carpeted cat condo, the top of the entertainment center and the Christmas tree. It's a way to get up high and survey their king or queendom. When we'd put our tree by our staircase, Izzie and my late, sweet Ernie would climb the banister and leap off the railing into the tree. Unless you encase your tree in some sort of fencing from top to bottom, there really is no way. I got tired of yelling at the cats and making Christmas so stressful and (insert deep sigh here) just put my heirloom ornaments away and bought all plastic. I still wind up with ornaments on the floor but at least they don't break. Btw, I also don't purchase any living Christmas plants such as poinsettia, holly or mistletoe as Izzie will eat it. I DO love my Bratboy!

Merlin

At 5 months your kitten is still in the most curious stage. Trees to climb, especially those that twinkle & sparkle are going to be attractive.

Changes have to be made when children come into the family,this is the same for human children as well as feline. We do several things to make holidays safe for our cat (& dog) family members. We found that yelling & noise makers only work if the human is in the room. We keep appropriate cat grass on the opposite side of the room; use only plastic ornaments; the tree is anchored to the wall in case one does jump on it; no aspirin or tree nutrients in the water; fallen needles are vacuumed often, & a battery operated motion detector deterrent that blows a small puff of air. They don't seem to know where it comes from, & move away.

We have met people value their habitual holiday decorations over the safety of the animals who depend on them. Their homes usually have a higher stress level, more injuries, and the innocent cat is always blame.

Merlin answered on 11/27/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer