How do you get kittens used to having their nails clipped?

Asked by Member 499585 on Sep 18th 2007 Tagged nails, kittens, trim in Health & Safety

Best Answer

Atlas

Get them when they are sleepy that way they'll be a little groggy and not so fussy. Always be careful not to trim too short! A bad experience early will only make it tougher to trim the nails later on!

Atlas answered on Sep 18th.

Answers

Alice

I put my cat in my lap, belly up, and I just trim a little bit at a time. I also let her sniff the clippers before I start. she struggles through the first few but then she calms down.

Alice answered on 9/18/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 4 Report this answer

Sunshine - Sweet Angel

Before I ever break out the clippers, I get the kittens used to having me play with their paws, I will push the little nails out and play with their pads and massage their little paws.
Then get out the clippers, with kittens it is usually best to clip when they are tired..maybe start with one paw at a time...depends on the kitten. I hope this helps.

Sunshine - Sweet Angel answered on 9/18/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

Samoa - Diva Angel

One trick that is used in our family - even though we aren't kittens anymore - is to have one person hold us while the other does the trimming. Talking sweet to us while the trimming is taking place makes us feel special, and of course, we get a treat when we're done!

Samoa - Diva Angel answered on 9/18/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Jack ~My Angel

I would start getting them used to having their feet handled and work my way up to trimming. Rub their toes and in between the paw pads so they become comfortable with this. Talk lovingly to them, give them lots of praise and a treat after each session. Once they associate footsie rubs as a good thing, gently clip their nails. This may still upset your kitty at first, but I'ver found they get used to it fairly quickly.

Jack ~My Angel answered on 9/19/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

Simon Sukui S.S. Sr.

repetition

Simon Sukui S.S. Sr. answered on 9/19/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Peanut

First, do it at least once a month so they get used to it. Second, be calm about it so it won't be a scary thing for them. We find that it helps if they're in a comfortable position and are soothed with nice words after each cut. Good kitty, etc for being so good about it. Treats helped me get used to it and she can easily be all done w/ trims in a couple minutes now. If you have someone else hold the kitty so it can't squirm it helps, too. Don't forget to give the kitty pets and loves while you do it!

Peanut answered on 9/21/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Garfield

well first you must get them used to the clippers on their nails and haveing their feet touched. once kitty dosn't mind you touching his nails than clips his nails when he's really sleep and only do a little at a time you don't want to cut into his quick ( the little pink part in his nail)

Garfield answered on 9/24/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer