Martini and Margarita

How do you control cats shedding?

I'm new to this site so I'm not sure if this is listed somewhere or not. We brought our cats in from outside (They were roaming around our property for a few weeks) about 1 and 2 months ago. One has started shedding like CRAZY and the other one is slowly starting to shed like the 1st one started. I brush them daily but I still cant get it under control! Every time I pet her, I end up with "gloves" on my hands... Is there anything I can do to help her shed less or control it better?

Asked by Martini and Margarita on Feb 20th 2013 in Grooming

Answers

Joey

I am not sure why you would have your cats roaming your property for a few weeks - unless they were strays and you have since taken them in. In any event - a trip to the vet is needed - they should have a checkup to see if they may have picked anything up when they were outside. A number of things can cause excessive shedding such as allergies, parasites, fungus, sun exposure, chemicals, medication, thyroid disorders, etc. They need a checkup and it might be a good idea to get them professionally groomed - if the vet doesn't believe them to have any skin issues that would prohibit a professional grooming. A groomer can bathe them (if you cannot bathe them yourself) and get all the lose hair out of the under coat making regular brushing more effective. Start with the vet.

Joey answered on 2/20/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer