How do I "unmat" the fur of a Persian cat?

I was given 2 Persian cats whose fur is matted to the skin, and contains a lot of disgusting material. I've bathed them, and try to trim them (they don't like it at all). There are no vets or groomers available. Will I have to get a razor and shave them? If so, what is the best way to keep them calm during the process?

Asked by Member 850549 on Mar 5th 2010 Tagged mattedfur in Home Grooming

Answers

Freckles (1993-2011)

Using electric hair clippers is the best and safest way to trim mats from a cat. Using a razor or scissors is dangerous and you could cut the cat by mistake.

They probably won't like the clippers because of the noise so if you are able to get a sedative approved for cats from a vet to calm them down that will help. If not just get someone to help you hold them and just trim their fur as best you can. Don't worry if you have to shave their fur really short so there is just a bit of fuzz left as it will soon grow back.

Maybe you are overseas but if you ar ein the US but somewhere remote it may be worth a drive to a groomer or vet who is used to dealing with cats and will probably be able to trim them quickly and easily.

Freckles (1993-2011) answered on 3/5/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Elise

Where do you live? (No, you don't have to answer.) Vets are available in almost every country/state I know. Persians, as you have found out, are high maintenance cats. It seems that your cats need a professional groomer. If you can't find one, here are some hints. First--and this is from personal experience--do NOT use scissors, ever. I nicked my sweet Elise in three spots when she had fur snarls and petrified feces in her Main Coon britches. She had to go to the ER and get stitches. Since you have already tried baths, I won't get into that. Most cats love the Zoom Groom--it feels like being groomed by Momcat. I recommend it over the Furminator. Whatever you do, do not try amateur attempts with scissors or razors. I am speaking from experience. And tranquilizers don't usually work for cats. Do your best to find a groomer, p-mail me at any time, and check out the grooming forum on Catster. You are not alone...

Elise answered on 3/5/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I agree that the only solution once they are as matted as you describe is to have them shaved. I have 6 Persians and bought myself an electirc shaver but to keep them still enough to do it if you are not trained to shave a cat is difficult at best. I would recommend hiring a groomer to do it just this one time and then keep them combed in the future (now that they have somebody to take good care of them) so that you won't need to do it again. The only time that I have ever had to shave mine was just Allie and Bailey because I lost control of the mats while I was in the process of moving 2 years ago. Please do not use scissors as this is a sure fire way to injure the cats and you have indicated there is no vet available. If you can't shave them, you will have to use a metal toothed comb. Use your fingers to break apart the mats as much as you can first and then comb them. If you hold the mat with your fingers and comb, then you can cut down on the pull and pain for the cats.