Sophie

How do I treat a pregnant cat for fleas?

Sophie is very young and went into heat and got outside 2 weeks ago. (my fault I know) but she brought fleas with her, which by itself wouldn't be horrible. However, I believe she is pregnant too (swollen belly and nipples). How can I treat her to make sure the kittens don't ket infested as well? I also have one other adult cat and an adult dog.

Asked by Sophie on Aug 2nd 2009 in Worms & Parasites

Answers

Check with your vet but I think its OK to give her flea meds while she's pregnant as long as you use one of the good ones like Advantage or Frontline. Treat all the pets and use a product like De Flea on the carpets/bedding where they sleep. Then if you keep treating the other cat/dog monthly that should keep the fleas from coming back.

Sophie is very pretty with her cute little mask pattern on her face.

She sure is cute. Get her in to see the vet not only so they can treat her fleas properly but so they can also make sure her pregnancy is going along smoothly. Contrary to belief, cats need pre-natal care too. When the kittens are born, follow the advice of your vet closely and make sure they all find good, forever homes. Too many cats end up on the streets and in shelters- so get her spayed soon after this litter.