How do I stop one cat from terrorizing the other two.

I have 3 cats, all about 4 yrs old. 1 I've raised since a kitten (male, neutered) 1 adopted (female, spayed, declawed)she has lived with us for 3yrs. 1 adopted Jan.2011 from a shelter (male, neutered) The one we adopted from the shelter (Toby) likes to terrorize the other two cats who are quite mellow. He lived in the shelter for a year before we adopted him. He is a loving cat, needed some socialization and is pretty good with most humans. He is very dominate though. He has attacked guests, not seriously, but enough to let them know he is boss. He has totally ruled my bedroom, the other cats do not enter. The real problem is many, many, times, as they are walking through he will jump on them and force them in a corner where all you hear is growling and hissing. Until Toby moved in I never heard (Randy) the kitten raised cat growl.If I scold him, he will stop (for a while) but I feel bad the my other two cats do not have the freedom they once had. Any help would be appreciated.

Asked by Member 1066881 on Oct 28th 2011 in Socialization

Answers

There is usually a reason why a cat remains in a shelter for a year, and sadly, you may have discovered why Toby was there for that long. And, he may have been on the streets for a long while even before coming to the shelter. Unfortunately, it sounds like the shelter staff did not inform you of Toby's aggressiveness and you may not have shared your other cats' mellow personalities with them. Aggressiveness toward humans (and other cats) should NEVER be tolerated as this can lead to injuries and even legal problems. Toby needs to go to his vet and you need to chat with them about his attitude. He may benefit from a short course of kitty prozac and some behavior therapy which they can train you to do. Seriously, if Toby attacks guests and other cats, he does not seem so "loving" and he may need more socialization than he's had so far. Speak with your vet and ask them for their advice.