How do I stop my cat from sleeping with me at night?

I adopted a male neutered cat from my local humane shelter. Nobody knows for sure where he came from or how old he is. He is a main coon mix, looks like he is an older cat and is very different from my three other cats. He insists on sleeping right next to me at night. I wouldn't mind so much if he didn't scratch me in the process or try to lay on my face. He is a good sized cat and takes up a lot of room and is very pushy. I have tried to shut my bedroom door but he will scratch at the door and meow very loudly. I have tried putting him down everytime he gets on the bed. Nothing works. The cats have the run of the house so there is plenty of other places he can sleep. My boyfriend and I are running low on sleep and ideas. The cat doesn't want to play, he just wants to sleep as close as he can possibly get to either one of us. I feel bad for him so I give in to him but our lack of sleep isn't working out for us. Any ideas would be more than welcome. My other cats don't sleep with us.

Asked by Member 933742 on Dec 29th 2009 Tagged stop, cat, sleeping, bed, night in Behavior & Training

Best Answer

If you don't know where your cat came from, he could be an owner surrender and have slept with his previous owner all his life. Old habits are very difficult to change. I know that my 20lb. MC mix, Izzie, would prefer to sleep with us but he has the reputation of "hunting bed mice" (biting and clawing at our feet) at night so I don't trust him. We've managed to keep him out although he also scratches at the door. Your kitty is probably still trying to get used to his new life, new home and new sibs and you are the proverbial "port in the storm" to him. Try putting some article of your clothing in a nice comfy cat bed for him outside of your room. He may be content to sleep with just your scent instead of you. But bear in mind that he's at a loss right now and needs your reassurance that this IS his forever home. When he becomes accustomed to his new digs and sibs, he may realize that causing havoc in the rest of your house at night is more fun than sleeping! 80)

Izadore (Izzie) answered on Dec 29th.

Answers

Simon Garfunkel

Simon came to live with us when he was 6 months old, and he would not give up on the laying on my head, and licking my hair.2 years later he still wants to do it, But this has been working, I put a small box next to my bed on a table stand, with a blanket in it. I go to bed 10 minutes early and pet him till he falls asleep, in the middle of the night he goes in his box. Give your cat extra attention before you go to sleep and he wont be so needy for your attention in the middle of the night! Good Luck!

Simon Garfunkel answered on 12/29/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

♥Sam

If your bed is big enough, you could put a cat bed next to you. You never know he may sleep in it. Which will help you, as he will not lean against you while your trying to sleep. One with high sides. I did that for one of our cats and I found he slept in it, which made it easier for me to sleep..

♥Sam answered on 12/29/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Herbie

Herbie has slept with us on and off all his life. Two months ago, I had back surgery and he decided to be my nurse - sleeping against my back in the incision area. Now, he sleeps where ever he wants on the bed, but usually on my feet. After he settles down, I start wiggling my feet and legs or what ever else is there, underneath him. I will move my foot so as to change his position, even bouncing him. Eventually he gets off. He has no idea that I am the culprit, just that there is something bugging him. The rest of the night, he will spend on the desk, staring at me!!!

Herbie answered on 12/29/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

♥ Tasha ♥

I read a review on a heated cat bed- the person had bought the bed to keep the cat from sleeping with them- and it worked- the cat just wanted a warm place to sleep. Seems like could work for you. Good luck!

♥ Tasha ♥ answered on 12/29/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Tasha's answer made me think of something. We have a couple of warm, snugly fleece throw blankets. Our cats love to nap on them. They are inexpensive and come is lots of colors. They would be easy to make too.
Maybe your new kitty would love one of his own to sleep on.
Here's a link for an example:
www.domesticbin.com

Diablo (Deebs)

It sounds to me like you found your best friend. I consider my cats are more of a best friend than actual humans. I have a cat that where ever i lay down she will come and sleep on me on my feet and even on my hip when i am laying on my side, I consider this true and faithful love, sure it can be an inconvenience at times but i learned to live with it. a suggestion could be extra pillows one for you and one above your pillow where he could sleep, and you could reach for him at night to comfort him, or just put him down at your feet as long as they are touching you I believe that's what they need and want. All i have to do is get a puppy and they stop sleeping by me lol. Even a small box is great the smaller the better mine loves. Good luck

.................

Diablo (Deebs) answered on 12/30/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer