Jake_W

How do I stop my cat from peeing against the wall?

Our cat uses the litter botter regularly, but lately when he has to pee, he stands inside the litter box, but pees against the bathroom wall. How do we stop him from doing that? He used squat in his litter box and go, but now he pees on the wall.
He hasn't peed anywhere else in the home. He still goes to the litter box, but aims at the wall now. We just caught him doing this. Any suggestions would be great.

Asked by Jake_W on Jul 5th 2008 in Behavior & Training

Best Answer

I totally agee with Bella because I have the same problem with my "boys, Ernie and Izzie. They aren't marking because they're in the box, but sometimes they don't realize that they need to be farther IN the box. If he'll use a covered box, you can try that. There are also high-sided boxes but he has to be going in the right direction to hit the built up side. Make sure the box is spotlessly clean because cats don't like to stand on clumps of urine while they're using the box and will back up as far as they can to avoid doing do.

Izadore (Izzie) answered on Jul 5th.

Answers

Bella (In Loving Memory)

Perhaps the box is too small. Try getting him a larger box or a covered box.

Bella (In Loving Memory) answered on 7/5/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Spike

Just to provide another viewpoint, do you think he could be combining proper toilet behavior with marking behavior? I.e., he uses the toilet but is "making his mark" as well. Has anything changed--new cat, new baby, house renovations, a neighborhood cat lurking around the windows? Also, as with any change in toilet habits, getting it checked out at the vet's is a good idea, in order to rule out any health problems. It sounds like the reasons and solutions are as the other posters suggested, but if it is a behavioral or health issue, you want to nip it in the bud. I assume that he's been neutered--if not, that could definitely be the cause. Good luck!

Spike answered on 7/6/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer