How do I stop my cat from being aggressive toward another cat?

I have recently moved into a household with another cat and my cat has become more and more hostile and aggressive toward the other cat. My cat is now initiating out and out fights if I let them near each other. How can I stop this and have them get along with each other?

Asked by Member 1094356 on Feb 22nd 2012 Tagged training, cats, aggression, multiplecats in Aggression

Answers

Jake

Well as someone who over thirty years has blended cats together,(at least 24 by my count) you may have a rough patch ahead. You don't say how old your cats are. Sometimes that has a lot todo with fighting. They may be establishing who is alpha. Also are they boys girls or one of each. I had way less trouble with boys and girls versus 2 of the same. Remember your baby is in someone else's lair now. all the smells belong to the other cat. This most likely a jealousy issue and it really will work out given time. Monitor their time together. I know it is difficult to watch them fight but keep a water bottle at hand at all times. If they start something then separate them and if needed have a timeout space. I've had thor for 6 years and the little bugger wants to kick muggz's butt all day every day. When he gets too pushy he gets a time out and then he chills out until the next time.

Jake answered on 2/22/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

mini

you cant really stop a cat from being aggressive towards others. i have a 3 year old that is very aggressive towards others outside she hates other cats. a year ago i got another kitten and she was VERY aggressive towards her but with time she learned to accept the new kitten in our home. ts been a year now they dont play togather because my older cat hates other cats but shes alot better so just give it time!! :) :)

mini answered on 2/23/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

It's always a good idea to keep the "new" cat (yours) separate when trying to introduce him to other cats. Just opening the carrier and letting everyone work it out seldom DOES work. The result is usually fear and/or aggression. Go back a few steps and separate your cat from the resident cat. Put him in a room with a box, food, water, his favorite blankie or bed and visit him as frequently as you can. After a while, let him have the run of the house and let Resident Cat explore your cat's room. You can't force the cats to be BFF's, but you can make the situation tolerable for everyone. Your vet can also give advice to help with the intro's, and it goes without saying that both cats need to be fixed if not already.