How do I stop my adult, spayed cats to stop spraying everywhere?

I have two out of four of my adult female cats that pee everywhere. This just started, they have all lived together, same house for 6 years. All are spayed. They all go outside whenever they want, and all are litter trained.

Asked by Member 408575 on Feb 14th 2009 in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Answers

Boris

I am assuming they are peeing instead of spraying (marking territory) because spraying is usually a male thing. The most likely cause of this is that they don't like their litterbox for some reason. I suggest putting the litterbox in a quiet place where they won't be bothered doing their business, make sure it stays clean!!! My other cat Baghira used to pee on the carpet and it turned out it was because his litterbox wasn't clean enough for him. Once I started cleaning it every single day he stopped. I also suggest changing the litter (if not already) to the generic gray clumping litter. This is most similar to what cats naturally prefer (don't use anyting scented or any weird special litters). Make sure the litterbox is large enough for your cats, and take the lid off if there is one (the smell inside can be offending to your cats).
If none of this works, do things to make the area your cats are peeing in as unattractive as possible (vinegar smells, loud noises etc).

Boris answered on 2/14/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

The fact that this behavior is new could be significant. Sometimes females can get a bit snitty with each other (okay, catty), and take it out on YOU by inappropriate elimination, but it sounds like your girls have been together and getting along for quite a while. Female cats sometimes mark their territory with urine, but that's usually limited to unspayed cats. The rule of thumb when toilet habits suddenly change is to take the cat to the vet--but the fact that TWO of your cats are doing this could mean that it's something behavioral rather than a disease. But I would advise you to get them checked out, just to make sure. Meanwhile, has anything changed at home? New litter, new pets, new housemate, new litter box, new litter box location? Think about that, and you might come up with a clue as to the reason for this new behavior. Other than that--keeping the litter box pristine is important. And, occasionally, cats just don't want to "go" where another cat does. Good luck!

Chiquito

Do you have multiple litter boxes spread throughout your house? Something to try if not... Our mellow cat started urinating on our bed suddenly and almost daily. It turned out that the younger, rowdier cat was attacking him - a "litterbox ambush" as we finally (thankfully!) found online. By having various litterbox options, the rowdy guy could no longer keep the mellow cat from the litterbox. Problem solved for us, happy cats and family. Hope this might be helpful for you.

Chiquito answered on 7/12/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer