Pat (the cat)

How do I stop being scared of strange people and loud noises?

About a year ago I had a very scary time one night. I was playing and fell down behind the water heater and the wall & got trapped.

Mom couldn't get me out, so she had to get someone to cut a hole in the wall with a jigsaw to get me free. The saw made a very loud noise and I got really scared! Since then I'm afraid of people who come to the door and I hide, and loud scary noises spook me out, too.

I'm fine with Mom and the other kitties, but I used to like people but now I'm so scared if I hear a noise. Can you help me?

Asked by Pat (the cat) on Apr 21st 2008 Tagged loudnoises, peoplecomingtothedoor in Fears & Phobias

Best Answer

MMEEello!
In our pride, we have a couple brothers and sisters who have had similar experience(s), an event that really freaked them out. We also have a couple who , with-out provacation nor event, have issues with strangers and keeping the peace.
Very much like our 2-legged, thumbed,hairless, horizontally challanged pride members {humans} we need our support system in place with LOTS of love and special attention during visits or events and reassurance of personal safety. A nice, cozy spot in the closet or under a bed is nice but please dont try to find me, it is not a game, I'm scared and will come out when I'm ready.
Sometimes, we also need extra help from outside sources, like our vet. who may offer a sedative and/or a natural remedy for stress.
"Always remember, we LOVE you UN-Conditionaly, so please dont take it personal."
Some nip and Tuna please?

answered on Apr 21st.

Answers

UM, WERE YOU A ABANDONED CAT? IF SO, YOU MAY HAVE A FEAR OF PEOPLE AND NOISES BECAUSE MY OLDER ABANDONED CAT DID. OR ARE YOU A OLDER KITTY? HOPE THIS HELPS! BY THE WAY, I THINK PAT IS SO CUTE.

I am a rescue kitty who was born under my neighbor's deck last spring. My kitty mama taught us to run whenever a human approached. When my meowmie rescued me, she worked very hard with me to show me that humans weren't always bad. She never forced me to be with people I was scared of. After a while, I got curious about company and started to come into the room. Meowmie told people to just ignore me and let me investigate on my own. When I learned that I would be OK when I was "out and about", I started coming out more and more. It helped that I saw my brofur Ernie and my sisfur Delilah and the dogs were not scared. But mostly it just took time, patience and a lot of love!