How do I prepare my cats for neutering?

I have an appointment to take some of my lap-trained shed cats to be spayed and neutered soon.

What should I do to prepare them, and what should I do after surgery after they come home?

Asked by Member 1071222 on Nov 16th 2011 in Spaying & Neutering

Answers

Your vet should tell you what to do prior to the surgery. For mine I was told to take away food before midnight the night before. That's it. Not much to do to prepare them. And then afterward, you should receive instructions on what to do with them at home. Sometimes they send home pain meds and sometimes they just give a slow release long acting shot of pain meds. And you just keep them as quiet as you can for a few days. Limit jumping. Some need an e-collar to prevent messing with the stitches but none of mine ever had one. And only Destiny had to have her stitches removed so she had a follow up visit. The rest had disolvable stitches. You just need to try to discourage licking the area and keep an eye out for swelling or signs of infection.