How do I make my cat catch mice?

There are mice everywhere in my place, but my cat is too slow. Anything that I can do to make my cat faster?

Asked by Member 648562 on Jul 1st 2008 Tagged micecatching, mice in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Sam

I guess you could practice with him using interactive toys like the feline flyer, but generally no. You might want to invest in humane traps.

Sam answered on 7/1/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sam's right. They used to say that if you didn't feed a cat, he'd catch mice. But some cats just aren't adept at catching things. In our house, Ernie is the Great Black Hunter, but the other two could care less. There could be a hundred mice running around and Izzie would be off chasing the lone butterfly or a dry leaf that's blowing across the yard, stepping over the mice to get to it. You should invest in traps or call an exterminator as mice can carry disease and fleas.

Piper- Rainbow Bridge 10/4/10

Feral cats and barn cats are the best mousers; the more generations since cats have been taken in as inside cats, the more they lose their hunting skills. If a cat's mother and grandmother were inside-only cats and not hunters, its mousing skills may be next to nothing. You can't teach a cat to mouse. Also, some breeds of cats have no predatory instinct whatsoever (such as Persians- they have no prey drive.)

Piper- Rainbow Bridge 10/4/10 answered on 7/1/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Are you the same person who posted the other questions on catching mice? We'll assume you're not, and answer this question in a serious vein. My cousin has a farm and has barn cats, and they seem to do the job just fine. She gets them at the local shelter, and I don't think she chooses them according to any particular standard. However, the question was raised in earlier posts regarding the safety of cats eating mice. Mice and rats can carry disease or poison, and one would assume (I'm no expert) that this could be a risk factor. Also, there's really no guarantee that you'll be able to choose a good mouser (they say females are better mousers, by the way). When you consider the expense of feeding a cat (the mice, etc. it catches aren't going to be enough for its nutritional needs), and the expense of altering it, traps seem to be a cheaper and more efficient alternative. I wouldn't advise spreading poison, as other cats and dogs might eat it.

Willow aka Wilomena Catbeast -

I have "go faster stripes" MOL!

If you are serious, the advice is NOT to starve your cat to "make them hunt", but make sure they are properly fed. We need the energy for all that running and jumping! The mouse is just for hunting, not for food. I dont eat mine, anyway. Just as well too, they might have poison in..

I caught a load when I was just growing out of kittenhood. My humans played with me a lot, I had lots of different toys and lots of playtimes and I chase laser spots REALLY fast. But Al doesn't chase mice. He's not slow or anything, he just never got to play as a kitten. Play is how mums teach us to hunt.

Basically, though, we are cats.. we just do what we want, and there's not a lot you can do about it!!

Willow aka Wilomena Catbeast - answered on 7/6/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

i wouldent force your cat to catch them. mostly beacause mice carry plenty of ticks and parasites, so that may be harmful to the cats health. these rats may even be poisened because they were trapped in a different trap before. i can see that you really want something to get rid of these nasty vermin, (i have a hamster and she escapes alot!! its like finding a teddy bear hamster in the sofa!!!) remember that using traps for mice can be more efficient. my cats sometimes catch mice, but remember that your cat is at risk of serious diseases and ticks from mice. cats, are usually fairly fast, able to hit 35 mph, and to jump 7 times theyere own height. how old is your cat, any arthritis, muscle or joint problems?/ what is her gender? without that info i cant help any more. sorry!

persian paws and siamese scents
sophia.

Try catching them yourself, it's easy if you go on all fours.

Miaow !