Bowski

How do I know my kitten's tapeworms are gone?

I found evidence of tapeworms in my five-month-old kitten yesterday and immediately took her to the vet, where she was tested (positive for tapeworms and nothing else) and given a one-dose treatment (it was a pill, I think Drontal?) to get rid of them.

I was told she'd likely pass the worms in 24 hours. It's now been about 36 hours—kitten has visited the litterbox multiple times and is acting healthy and happy. Do I need to tear apart the poo to ensure that she passed the worms? Should I just assume it worked as long as I don't see any more segments on her? Has anyone else given their kitten Drontal, and did it work?

Thank you!

Asked by Bowski on Dec 2nd 2012 Tagged tapeworm, kitten, cat, health, drontal in Health & Wellness

Answers

Most kittens (and puppies) are born with worms and that's why vets always ask you to bring a stool sample in. To be absolutely sure that your kitten is now parasite-free, drop off a sample of her stool at the vet's this week. They have the lab facilities including microscopes that can tell for certain that she's OK. What a cutie!