how do i know if my kitten is eating enough?

My kitten is 3 1/2 weeks old. He will eat 5ml and then start bitting on the nibble. And then want down to walk around,I would wait 5-10minutes and try to do it again. but he does the same thing over and over again. then he falls a sleep.... Just Wondering could he be geting enough to eat?

Asked by Member 1114302 on Jun 5th 2012 Tagged feeding, eating, kitten, teething, weeksold in Kittens

Answers

Have you weighed him? If he's gaining weight, he's OK. To entice him to eat, put a few drops of corn syrup on your finger and gently rub in on his mouth. He'll like the sweet taste and continue to nurse. You can also gently rub his back or the top of his head. Make sure you "burp" him just like you'd burp a human baby, up on your shoulder and tap his back or rub his tummy. It might not be a bad idea to take him to a vet soon just to make sure he's healthy. You can also call around to animal rescues in the area to see if they might have a nursing mom who could accept your baby. Good luck! Join Catster and post baby pics!!