Ash

How do I keep the e-collar on my cat??

Ash was neutered 3 days ago and my vet insists that I keep the e-collar on him, but he keeps taking it off! They gave me gauze to tie it on with and when that didn't work I bought him a collar, but all collars that they sell are safetly collars that come open when pulled to much.

He's a smart little guy... He'll sit on my lap once I get the thing on, acting all cool and collected, but as soon as I'm distracted he runs under the couch and emerges collarless!

Asked by Ash on Dec 13th 2010 Tagged ecollar, neuter in Spaying & Neutering

Answers

Leia

I had the same problem! I got crafty and cut new holes in the e-collar so that it would go around tighter and also used the gauze to secure it and it worked! You shouldn't have to keep it on your kitty too much longer anyways.
Good luck!

Leia answered on 12/13/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Mystery

If your neuter surgery was uncomplicated and you're not biting at your rear end like an absolute demon you should be fine without it 3 days in. When feral male cats get fixed they keep us for un-collared observation for 24 hours and set us free in the wild and there are very rarely any complications. The incisions used are so tiny they are like little paper cuts and even in spay surgeries or males with a testicle in their body cavity it's usually small enough that it heals pretty good in a few days time. If your poor people can't keep the collar on you it's not doing much good anyways but is probably stressing you out worse than the trip to the vet! Maybe they could call the vet's office and get you an official pass on this well-meant kitty torture device!

Mystery answered on 12/13/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I would not worry about makeing him wear it mine never wore one got my male cat fixed two weeks ago he did not were a e-collar.

My vet likes those e-collars, too. Me and my animals? Not so much. They can't eat with them on. If your animals sleep with you, it's a nightmare. Mystery is right about the male neuter surgery. A lot of vets don't even use stitches anymore but use glue. If you do take the collar off, you'll need to supervise him closely to make sure he's not licking at the site or biting/chewing at it, but I'd be willing to bet that he'll be far too busy with other things to worry about the place where his "bits" used to be. What a CUTE profile pic, btw!

The Kitty Kommittee

The Vet mom takes us to says that e-collar is pure torture for a kitty.None of us guys had to wear one after our snip, and had no complications.Even Gypsey Joe healed with no problems and he an undecended one. The only ones that had problems with it was two of the older guys.
Mom had them snipped after they had sired a litter, and when they came home the first thing they did was try and mount one of the princesses. The look of OW!!! was comical as it could be! They dismounted very slowly and went and curled up on the water bed, giving Mom dirty looks when she checked on them. After a couple days they were fine, but when one of the breeding girls tried enticing they got out of there in a hurry!
I wouldn't worry too much about keeping the collar on and just let the guy be if he is not licking at his wounds.

The Kitty Kommittee answered on 12/15/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer