How do I handle separating my cats when I move?

I have 2 cats who are very close. They are ages 2 and 3 and have lived together for a little over a year now. They are together every day and play all the time. In a month I am moving in with my mom and can only bring 1 cat, so my boyfriend is taking our other cat. This will be temporary, but I know my cats will most likely be very depressed. How can I make the move as easy as possible for them?

Asked by Member 945603 on Feb 1st 2010 Tagged cats, separation, moving in Separation Anxiety

Answers

Kitty (deceased)

I would start slowly separating them now to prepare them for the move. Maybe keep one in a different place when feeding to start with, then separating them at night time. The more you get them used to being apart right now, the better. Because then they will be somewhat used to being away fro each other and being dependent. Good luck! =^.^=

Kitty (deceased) answered on 2/2/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I'd just like to add that as often as you see your boyfriend, you may want to pack up the cat you bring with you in a carrier and take him/her to visit their sibling. Both cats will need extra cuddle time from their humans. Don't be surprised if you see "mourning" behavior in the cats such as lethargy, restlessness, lack of appetite, etc.

If this is just "temporary", then why can't either you or your boyfriend take both cats together? It sounds like this is more than just temporary if you are so concerned.