How do I get all my cats to live happily together again?

Four of my cats were petrified when their buddy, Jack, came home with an e-collar after dental work. They saw him, smelled him and ran into the basement. That was over 2 weeks ago. Jack no longer has the collar but the other kitties still will not come out of the basement. Once or twice, one cat would attempt to come back upstairs but when Jack saw him, he chased him back into the basement. Now, I think Jack thinks he's king of the castle. They all got along great before. How do I get them back upstairs? The basement is not a good place for my kids.

Asked by Member 978189 on Apr 29th 2013 Tagged fear, agression in Socialization

Answers

Was Jack always the pack leader? I think it may be time for Jack to be taken down a few notches. You don't want the rest of your kitties to spend the rest of their lives as basement kitties, I'm sure. When Jack gets on his muscle, it might not be a bad idea to put HIM in a room (like a bedroom) with a litter box, food and water, by himself for a few hours. Make sure the other cats all come upstairs and enjoy themselves while Jack's in seclusion. Keep doing this until Jack realizes that YOU are the Head Cat and even though he thinks HE is, he still has to answer to you. Putting him in a "time-out" for a while might make him realize that it's more fun to be with his family and behave than to be alone in a room.