How did my 6 year old cat die suddenly this morning?

She was seemingly very healthy... never had any prior problems. she did have bloody diarrhea a few times, but the vet said she was probably allergic to a certain food brand and to switch it.

this morning she was acting just as always. she was curled up in my lap happy and purring. she jumped down and went into another room, and all of the sudden I heard a loud thump, like she fell. I found her laying on the floor not moving, tongue out, and having trouble breathing. it all happened so fast... she was not struggling more than a minute before she passed away.

at first I thought that she fell off the couch and broke her neck or something, but the fall is not high at all. I don't have enough money to get an autopsy done. I'd just really love to know what happened to my poor kitty. :(

Asked by Member 895979 on Oct 1st 2009 in Loss of a Pet

Answers

Minuit AKA Miss Meany

No one on here can even give you the slightest idea or reason why your cat died suddenly.
I can tell you how truly sorry I am for you and your cat. The lose of a beloved pet is heartbreaking. The question is always how could this have happened so suddenly, but most times the answer is never found.
You are in my thoughts. RIP little one.

Minuit AKA Miss Meany answered on 10/1/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sally ♥ Sweet Angel

It is almost impossible to know what your kitty passed away from. I am so sorry for your loss and I am sorry for the ambiguity that surrounds her passing.

What you described does sound a bit like what happened with my beautiful Sally. She was perfectly healthy as far as I knew. One day, she collapsed on her side and had difficulty breathing- very similar to what you described with your kitty. It turned out that Sally had an undiagnosed heart condition and she had gone into heart failure. Heart disease and heart failure in cats can come on suddenly, often with little to no warning. That may be what happened to your kitty.

If I was in your situation, I would call my vet and talk to the vet about what might possibly have caused her sudden death. I would especially call the vet to discuss it if there are other kitties in the house, just to talk with the vet about whether there might be risk to the other kitties.

I am so very sorry for your loss. I know the devastation of losing a beloved kitty unexpectedly. Take care.

Sally ♥ Sweet Angel answered on 10/1/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sadie/ In loving memory

You will never know what caused your kitty to die without the autopsy. A vet can only give you and educated guess without diagnosis. I'm sorry this doesn't help you. I am sorry for your loss. I know how it hurts to lose a furbaby.

Sadie/ In loving memory answered on 10/3/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

My cat Cartman died the same way. He was fine all day long, then out of nowhere, he died. I don't know what happened. I'm sorry I can't help, I think that it just happens sometimes.

I'm terribly sorry for your loss.

Diego

Call the Vet that examined your cat and explained what happened. He may have some ideas and does have your cats medical records on file. Sorry for your loss.

Diego answered on 11/10/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Im soo sorry for your loss, the exact same thing happened to me and my cat on 9/10/11 so it was only a few days ago, i cannot stop crying and i cant believe it as it happened literally so quickly and he dies in my arms, when i went to the hospital with him they said that he may of had a blood clot leading to a heart attack and that was the only possible cause..... im really sorry though :'(