How can I stop my cat/cats from spraying indoors?

I have an 11 year old female cat and a twelve year old male cat who, despite living together most of their lives do not get along. My female cat spends most of her time outside, while the male cat prefers indoors. Both have been neutered and have had issues with crystals in their urine (the male cat recurringly). I have noticed very smelly, dark, crystally urine on some of the furniture- the spraying has even broken a DVD player! Is there any way to stop this behaviour? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Asked by Member 1129287 on Sep 4th 2012 Tagged behaviour, spraying in Behavior & Training

Answers

Batfink

Sometimes scent marking or accidents in the home,can be a sign of stress and because your kitties have been unwell,and not getting along , stress might be an issue. Try to make sure you provide space for kitties to relax away from eachother in privacy , also, something ive found really helpfull is having a Feliway (tm) diffuser in the house.... they are invaluable, and work by releasing a scent that mimics the Pheromones that kitties rub onto surfaces to mark as thiers in the home, in turn this helps kitty relax. as with any change in behaviour i would reccomend a quick check up at the vets. hope all is well

Batfink answered on 9/6/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Because your cats have a history of urinary tract issues, if they are not regularly vetted and tested and perhaps on a special urinary tract diet, you may want to consider that. I'm certain your female comes back into your house smelling of the outdoors and all it's interesting occupants and your male cat is spraying to protect his territory. Cats are very scent-oriented creatures and he might think that because he can smell the creatures, the female has brought them in with her. Since the 2 of them don't get along, as they've aged, the ill-will and bad feelings may be intensifying. When you visit the vet clinic, ask if your vet feels they may be suffering from age-related issues such as dementia-like conditions. Both your cats qualify as Senior Citizens and cats (and dogs) can suffer from the same old-age complaints as humans do. Try setting out more litter boxes and make sure they're kept VERY clean.