Chubs

How can I prevent my kitten from eating pine needles?

Obviously tell me something besides "sweep it up" please. What can happen if he does eat them?
And what steps can I take to prevent them?


Asked by Chubs on Nov 24th 2012 Tagged christmas, tree, kitten, pineneedles, holidays, prevention, swallowing in Swallowing Foreign Objects
Report this question Get this question's RSS feed Send this question to a friend



Status

  • Cast your vote for which answer you think is best!


Answers

Batfink

Unfortunately...Pine needles are baad news for kitty,and when ingested can puncture intestines, pine is highly toxic to cats, maybe causing liver damage and sometimes worse. Soo its really important she doesnt eat them.
TO be honest the only thing you can do is make it safe for kitty by making sure she cannot access them,thats not what you wanted to hear, but if your kitty continues this fettish its going to have to be a preventative action on your part to stop it. This is especially important at Christmas when many pet owners bring cute pines into thier home, these trees are sometimes dipped in toxins that are very dangerous. So all in all, i would highly reccomend a quick trip to your vets asap, if she has eaten them and be as vigilant as possible so that she cannot get them, try getting some cat grass for her, our kitties love it, i just grow a pot on my kitchen window, and it seems to stop them snacking on bits of vegitation they shouldnt be.All the Best!!!


Batfink answered on 11/25/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer


October

If she seems DRAWN to it, I suppose a play pen type of gate around the tree will only be a small road block to getting what she wants, but at least while you are home it will be something you can hear and correct her. I like using a spray bottle to make the cats understand that something like this is not acceptable. Bitter apple spray might work as well. All in all, you may have to put the whole tree under lock and key and opt for an artificial one next year! I'd say having a 'real tree' is not worth the risk to your furry family member! This is a tough one- good luck!


October answered on 11/25/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer