Midnight *Rest In Peace*

How can I make my cat enjoy playtime?

My cat, Midnight, is a maine coon-mix. I know cats are supposed to get at least 15 minutes of play a day, but my cat doesn't enjoy playing! I take out the toys (and I have MANY many cat toys)and she'll just cast an unimpressed look at them and walk off. I wiggle them, I get ones that makes sounds, I try to play with her at dusk, dawn, and night, but I swear she doesn't know how to play! I've even tried giving her treats everyytime she puts a paw out to poke the toy! I've tried every texture of toy (hence the many toys)and I seen that she is more curious over the furry types(she only really plays with real furry animals, unfortunately) but even then, it's just a swipe with the paw, I'm lucky to get 3 seconds of play, so 15 minutes seems impossible. Oh, and I've tried catnip and food-dispensing toys too. She just licks the catnip off, walks away and has a nap, and she doesn't get how to work a food-dispensing toy even though I've tried training her how to work it. Please help me!

Asked by Midnight *Rest In Peace* on Sep 2nd 2010 Tagged mainecoonwontplaywithtoys in Toys

Best Answer

If Midnight is a happy and healthy kitty, she may just simply not be impressed by your efforts to amuse her with toys. And, it sounds like you've tried them all! I think you may be stressing yourself out unneccessarily about this. Some cats are happiest with a warm window-sill (or a warm lap), peace and quiet and just being able to observe Life as it goes by. You can continue to try new toys and you may one day find one she'll like (for a minute 8-) Izzie loves a mouse that "chitters"--I got it at Wal-Mart. It sounds like a real mouse. But even he isn't that crazy about toys--even a laser pen. You sound very involved with Midnight which is fantastic. I'm sure she enjoys the process of your spending time with her much more than the actual toys you use.

Izadore (Izzie) answered on Sep 3rd.

Answers

My Allie thinks she is WAY to sophisticated to enjoy toys. But she can not resist a laser beam toy or even a flashlight beam. Just flash it around the walls and floor (just not in her eyes)and see if she will chase it. Allie likes it so much that I have even caught her trying to chase the reflection off my watch if it catches the sun. It is hysterical when I use the laser toy because she is so hairy and her feet are slippery with so much hair so she is a total klutz sliding across the tiles. She gets so excited!

SHE MIGHT BE MORE INTO " NAPTIME". YOU NEED TO TEACH HER HOW TO PLAY. HERE COME THE EXPERT COMMENT:
1. PAY PLENTY OF ATTENTION, ONE ON ONE. AT LEAST AT THE BEGINING. SHE IS UNSURE NOW.MAKE SURE YOU LET HE RKNOW, WHAT YOU WANT. AND THAT, EVEN THOUGH YOU HAVE OTHER KITTIES, AAND OTHE RFRIENDS , YOU WILL COME BACK AND PLAY!!!
2. LOTS OF KISSES AB=ND CUDDLING . FUN FOR TWO!!! UNDEVIDED ATTENTION TIME. EVEN THOUGH IT MIGHT BE SHORT. YOU MIGHT BE A LITTLE BORED WITH HER . SINCE SHE IS NOT AS EXITING TO YOU AS OTHE RBUDDIES!! BE PATIENIENT!!! REMEMBER SHE HAS ONE TRCAK MIND!!!1
REPEAT. AND PLAY.
LET HER BE NATURAL!!!!! EVEN WITH A FEW FAKE TRENDS MAY BE ONE OR TWO!!!!

PLAY HARD!!!

JUST THE WAY TO MAKE YOU HAPPY!!!
GOT TIRED!!!!
TAKE A NAP!!!
SHE WILL STRETCH HER PAWS!!!!

WHAT ELSE DO YOU NEED , ANYWAY!!!!!
MEOW MEOW