How can I make homade toy my cat would like?

He doesn't respond to cat nip, and sleeps on store bought toys, he olny has a laser pointer, stuffed tiger and an acorn. ( he loves them!)

Asked by Member 990451 on Jun 26th 2010 Tagged toys, homemade, kittens, fun in Exercise & Play

Best Answer

Joey

Pipe cleaners - not the ones with the foil in them - just plain old pipe cleaners - I fold the very end over so it's not sharp and they like to watch me curl them around my finger and then toss them in the air! Also, bottle caps off a soda bottle - Joey actually plays fetch with these - and the ring off the neck of a gallon of milk. I find that the kitties are more inclined to play with something that I can play with them with - like some thing to throw and chase. And the cardboard roll that's left off of the paper towel roll or toilet paper roll - they love to scoot these things around on the floor!

Joey answered on Jun 28th.

Answers

Many cats like fishing pole toys and these are easy to make. Get a strip of fleece material and fix it onto the end of a stick and as you flick it about he'll probably love to pounce on it and chase it.

Since he like the acorn he may also like ping pong balls or balls made of scrunched up paper.

As he likes the stuffed tiger and not smaller cat nip mice you could try taking an old sock and stuffing it to make a larger toy he can play with. How old is he? Cats often don't react to cat nip until they are adults so if he's a kitten he may still be too young. If he's still a kitten its probably worth getting some catnip to put inside the toys as he'll probably appreciate it later.

Crunched paper and cardboard boxes appeal to most cats.