Kayla

How can I get my cat to like my new dogs?

Recently, I have adopted two dogs, a Poodle, and a Shih-tzu. I already have a older Yorkie that she is used to, but she is having trouble with the other two. They both like her and want to play with her, but she always hisses, arches her back, and runs away. How can I get her to get used to them?

Asked by Kayla on Oct 5th 2011 Tagged hissing, trouble in Aggression

Answers

I have 2 dogs and 3 cats. Lizzie has been here about 2 months. All my cats ADORE my Springer Spaniel but my Husky/Shepherd/Dobie mix, well, that's another story. Sometimes you just have to let them work it out on their own. They may come to an uneasy truce. Cats and dogs are not natural enemies, but both are territorial. Kayla sees the 2 new dogs as invaders in her space. I would not let the dogs harrass Kayla. Make sure she has a "safe place" to hide from them. Kayla is reacting normally, and because we don't speak the same language as they do, it's very difficult to create a friendship between them. Don't interfer if Kayla swipes at them. She's telling them that she was there first and they'd better understand that she won't tolerate any nonsense. As I said, they may come to an uneasy truce one day. Time will tell!