How can I brush my fighting long haired cat?

My Norweigian Forest Cat (longed haired) hates being brushed! He doesn't like his belly touched at all! Since I have to fight him, his shedding time is awful for he gets horrible mats. I try doing one day at time get one big mat out. I have 2 types of brushes ( a large wire one and a deshedder comb), i've used sicciors and a buzzer but he fights, squirms and kicks. I feel so bad cause the mats get worse! I try to relax him and take my time but its such hassel! What can I do? Should I take him to a professinal groomer? PLEASE HELP!!!!

Asked by Member 1101749 on Apr 1st 2012 in Home Grooming

Answers

My long haired cat hates being brushed too, but she doesn't fight me as much as yours seems to. I always distract my cat by either letting her eat from the tub of catnip or I'll distract her with a toy. If nothing works, you may have to take him to a professional groomer.

I agree with Twinkle. Izzie tolerates being brushed for about 15 seconds then bites and claws. And I have brushed him since he was a little brat. I have to caution you that with an NFC, it's imperative that he be brushed. I brush my cats all evening long--whichever is on my lap at the time. The sessions are very short but very often. By the end of the evening, they're mostly all brushed all over and I'm still in once piece. If a long haired cat isn't groomed regularly, the owner does need to find a good cat groomer. Delilah was a mass of mats and snarls and had to be shaved. She's never forgiven me. 8-)