Oscar

Herpes and Humidifiers?

Will putting a humidifier in Oscar's room help suppress his herpes and/or prevent a future breakout?? How does it help?

If so, how often and how long does he need it. I hate locking him up, but I will, if it makes him better. Would I just do it at night and let him run free in the daytime?

I've been keeping him in the bathroom as I shower for now, so the steam might help him.

I guess preventative measures would mean locking him up every night forever, but that would make me too sad to keep him in kitty jail indefinitely.

Asked by Oscar on Nov 6th 2008 Tagged humidifier, herpes, steam in Alternative Treatments

Answers

Herpes viruses can cause upper respiratory infections, so if you notice that Oscar is wheezing and sneezing, a humidifier might help, but this, like Leila said in your other post, is a question that you should ask your vet. The most common treatment for Herpes is Lysine which can be given by tablet, or in the case of one of my foster kitties, a molasses-like gel. (She loved it!) Trust your vet to give you the best advice and treatment for your kitty. Each case is different, and even if we give you advice based on our experiences, it may not be advice you should follow in your case. Best of luck with Oscar. Give him lots of ear skritches and neck rubs for us!