Help...we just got a new couch and my cat is destroying it.

We tried sprays, soft paws and scratching posts. He scratches everything so that didn't work. I don't know what to do. I would never get him de clawed

Asked by Member 1124815 on Aug 10th 2012 in Scratching

Answers

I had the same problem with my cat. I had read the tinfoil was something that cats hated and would not touch. I taped it all around the sides of the sofa. she tried scratching once and never came back to it again. Left the foil on for about a month just in case and then took it down. my sofa is perfect. I will say all cats are different some are way more hardheaded than others. Double sided tape is also something that works as well.

Sticky Paws is wide double-sided tape that you can put on upholstered furniture to discourage clawing and scratching. It's available at any pet store. It doesn't hurt the furniture, but cats don't like it. You should also make sure there are plenty of options for him to scratch and try positioning scratching posts right next to the parts of the sofa he's clawing. My cats are fairly particular about the kinds of scratchers they'll use. They don't like the carpet ones but love the cardboard ones or the ones covered in jute. So try a few different kinds (in terms of material as well as vertical vs. horizontal) to see which he likes. That may help. And make sure you're giving him enough attention. I've had cats that would scratch and then look at me because they knew it got my attention. (It worked, even if it was the wrong kind of attention!)