Help...my cat started spraying in the house!

Help... My cat started spraying in the house, so I started letting him go outside. But now he is getting in many cat fights. How do I correct this? I rent this house so I can't have him spraying in here. He has stopped spraying now that he goes outside, but I don't want him coming home with more cuts!!!!
--Posted on Facebook by Dawn Hirschman Reklai

Asked by Member 1039911 on Jul 6th 2011 Tagged spraying in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Answers

Is he neutered? If he's not, get him fixed and that should nip that in the bud asap. Always did with my boy-kitties=)

Takoda

Yes I agree with the answer above. Getting him neutered will also stop him from coming home scratched up from fights. Neutered kitties are less territorial and have less problems with non-neutered kitties being territorial.

Takoda answered on 7/6/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Tibbey

If he is not neutered then you really need to have that done. That should fix that problem, also if he isn't fixed....he is out there getting females pregnant that are not fixed, adding to the 'over population' problem and all the strays suffer and starve.
Please do that if he isn't neutered, there are programs to help with that [low cost] reduced fees. Contact your shelters to ask.

Tibbey answered on 7/6/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

If he is not neutered get it done ASAP.Male that mature and are not fixed mark there teritory.

If he is, he may be sick. Most cats tell you they are not well by using areas other than the litter box to urinate or defecate.

He may also be smelling another male cat outside and wants to mark his territory.

Please do not let him roam outside. He can contract various infectious and incurable deseases from feral cats through blood and saliva when he gets into these fights.

Cats can get urinary tract infections that will make them spray, or something like spraying.

Eclipse

Yes, he has been neutered since he was 6 months old and the spraying just started. There are many outside cats around our house. He is 6 years old now. I always thought that getting them neutered would keep them from spraying, but evidently not! LOL!! I do believe he is spraying to mark his territory and not because he has a bladder problem.

Eclipse answered on 7/6/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I would recommend, first of all, getting him checked out by your vet to make certain that there isn't a physical cause for his spraying, such as the mentioned UT infection. If it's not that, then it's possible that the scent/sight of the cats outside is upsetting him. Cats are also sensitive to human stress or illness or other changes in their environment. You may want to try something like Feliway which mimics calming pheromones that cats produce from their facial scent glands. I have used the Feliway plug-ins and they are undetectable to a human's nose. There are also herbal remedies such as Bach Rescue Remedy which you can try. Here are a couple of links to show you examples of what I'm talking about. Good luck!

www.petsmart.com

www.drsfostersmith.com

littleboy

Hi my male cat little boy was a rescue and he was neutered as soon as we got him at 10 mths old, he also started spraying 2 years later but there some cats coming in the yard, we caught and adopted out one kitty and we use boundary spray around the house to keep others away from the area, we also use the rescue remedy and it seems to be working for him. Good luck I think if he does not have a UT it is most likely the outside kitties.

littleboy answered on 7/7/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer