Amigo

HELP! My cat is limping!

First off, I want to thank everyone who kindly answered to my previous question, I would've liked to express my gratitude earlier, but as a high school student I'm always busy with homework.
I am in need of your help once again. I came home tonight to find that Meowgi is limping! I know he is in pain because he will not let us touch it. There is no swelling, he ate and drank water as he normally does. He smells like cat urine so I presume he was in a fight. I tried examining his foot, but he will not allow me to do so, he even started hissing at us! I know the vet can be expensive, so can anyone provide me with some insight of what the cause of the situation might be? How do I know if his leg is broken? Would he be crying hysterically if it were? What can I do to help him? Thanks, in advance, for taking the time to help us out...

Asked by Amigo on May 9th 2010 Tagged limping, notswollen in Emergencies & First Aid

Answers

Please understand that we are not vets here and as much as we'd like to help you, we cannot and should not attempt to diagnose or suggest treatment for a cat we don't know and also, like you, do not know how he was injured. Animals are very stoic and do not show pain unless they are nearly incapacitated. Since Meowgi was most likely injured by another cat, you NEED to take him to a vet. Bite wounds and scratches will become infected. If he has never had vaccinations against them, he could contract any number of diseases from other cats. Veterinary care is a basic need that we must provide to our animals, just like food, water and shelter. Perhaps you could do chores around your house for payment of the vet bill. Summer is coming and you may be able to find a part-time job. Also, if you have vetted him regularly, your vet may accept a payment plan. I'm sorry that we cannot be of greater help but there is just no way we can know what's wrong over the 'net.

I know if it was my cat, I would take it to the vet. My cat limped for a little bit and when she started crying, I knew it was time to take her to the vet with no hesitation. She had jumped off something outside and had a pulled tendon or something. Your cat may have an abscess or an infection if it was in a fight and got bitten by another cat (or any other animal). The best advice we can all give you is to take the cat to a vet and get it checked out. It would be better to do it sooner rather than later. If you don't waste time, you could save your cat's life as well as money. If it gets serious and is infected, well, now you are talking big $$$. Go to the vet NOW!