Help finding a home for a troubled cat.

My father’s aunt passed away, she had this cat she loved who is only 2 years old. He has always been independent and hissed at everyone but her. He seems worse after her passing so no one wants to keep him. I cannot I am allergic. I need to find a shelter in the Dallas area that will not put him down, I know she would not want that. In Denver there is a farm that takes in unwanted cats is there some place like that around the Dallas area? I do not have very long for this so please help.

Asked by Member 978567 on Mar 30th 2010 Tagged pleasehelp in Shelters & Rescue

Answers

Joey

Create a page for the cat on this website and mark the cat as adoptable - give as much information as possible and see if you get any responses. If you can - search for a no-kill shelter or animal rescue society in Dallas - I did a quick search there are some. Please don't turn the animal loose - he is probably reacting to his loss - cats mourn - they are very sensitive to changes in their routine and environment. I am on the East Coast so I am sorry I cannot help you more.

www.operationkindness.org
www.treasuredfriends.org

Good luck!

Joey answered on 3/30/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Bella  My Beautiful Angel

Give Kitty a chance!
I live with asthma, allergies and have 6 cats. I'm fine, and what doctors don't tell you is that dust and mold and things that are in the air are as likely to affect your 'allergies' as cats.
Cats hiss when they feel defensive-it's a defense mechanism that doesn't always mean the kitty is aloof, bad tempered, etc. He might feel worried, nervous, etc. My advice would be to keep him and let him adjust to you.
I adopted a cat from a shelter years back (ok, I worked there, and they were threatening to euthanize her). She was supposedly ill tempered and aloof and people were afraid of her. I got her home, let her get used to me and the household, and a few months later has the most affectionate cat you could imagine. She passed 3 years ago at approx. 20 years old.
If you really don't want to keep her, then I would suggest googling 'no kill' shelter or sanctuary and put in your area.
My heart goes out to Kitty.

Bella My Beautiful Angel answered on 3/31/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Try to give the kitty a chance. If you really cannot perservere with the cat, then find a no kill shelter to take him to. The suggestion about putting up a website is a good one too! Best of luck to you and the kitty.