Hunter Devious

heating pad in shelter for strays.

Just wondering if anyone else uses a heating pad in sheler box for feral cats and how to make sure it;s safe for them and us.
Mom has a small insulated doghouse that she put a heating pad in for a my feral mom and her kittens.Hoping she will get her kittens early enough to get homes for them.
She wants to make sure Lucy and her kittens are warm but don't want to cause a fire or do any harm to them.
Anyone have any ideas or advice about this?

Asked by Hunter Devious on Dec 9th 2011 in Adoption & Rescue

Answers

Yes, I also have feral cats that I use "self-heated cat cushions". They are sold by Drs. Foster & Smith, or you may be able to find them elsewhere. The pet stores don't seem to carry them. My feral cats bury themselves under them on my front porch love seat. It is too funny! I think they fight over them and in the morning they are on the ground in front of the chair. I also put them in the cat shelters. They can be washed and you don't have to worry about electrical fires. There are also pet heating pads that are electric and made exclusively for outdoor use. The cords are wrapped with coil and are safer to use than a regular heating pad. DO NOT USE human heating pads for the cats/kittens. There is always the chance they will get burned or, cause a fire. Best of luck caring for your cats this winter!

I'm sure other Catsters who have experience with hosting feral cats outside in the winter will have better advice, but I'd just like to offer that if you have questions about this, you might want to contact a local shelter or rescue and ask them how they go about it. Most of these organizations have tips and tricks for how to take care of feral cats who spend the winter out of doors and they can share them with you. Good luck and God bless you for caring!

Your best bet is to get a pet heating pad that is rated for out-door use. Allied Precision <www.alliedprecision.com makes one. If you are nervous with an electric pad, a SnuggleSafe heat disc can be purchased which can be heated up in a microwave and lasts 9-12 hours on trip into the microvave. If you go this route, remember to buy the cover so you won't burn the kitties and makes it hold and distribute the heat better.