Has somebody's cat had Lymphoma cancer of the intestines?

Gemma is 13 yrs old, and I have decided to go the chemo way. I am waiting for the biopsy results. In the meantime she is acutely thin and eats tiny amounts of food. She also has diarhoea. How do I know when my cat is suffering? How do I know if I am doing the right thing?

Asked by Member 778119 on Dec 10th 2008 Tagged lymphoma, thin, diarrhoea, euthanasia in Cancer

Answers

My best friend just lost her kitty to intestinal cancer this past Saturday. She had decided not to do chemo because it was so advanced when they found it. She was doing medicine to calm her stomach and Procrit to boost the red blood cells. Harley was weak and had dislocated her leg 3 times when she went to sleep and passed quietly in the night. I am sure your vet would not encourage the treatment if he didn't hope for a good outcome. You will know when Gemma is suffering. If she can't do any of the things she is used to doing, if she can't do much more than lie around, if she stops being able to use the litterbox and to eat at all. This is the hardest decision any of us can ever make for our pets. My friend knew it was time when Harley stopped purring. This kitty always purred when you held her. In her heart she knew it was time and you will too. My friend was lucky and Harley made her own decision. Best wishes for your kitty.

I echo Allie's good wishes and blessings for your kitty. Many Catsters have said that they were afraid they wouldn't know when it was time to say good-bye to an old friend. Somehow, though, we always do. Sometimes we know our animals better than we know our spouses. Trust yourself to recognize when Gemma is ready to pass on to The Bridge. We've all pulled strength from resources we didn't know we posessed. And, Catster people are wonderful support-givers. You also need to have a very frank discussion with Gemma's vet. He cannot make the decision for you, but he can give you the knowledge you need to make the decision on your own.

Harold (RIP- 10/30/10)

Mom works with cancer kitties and doggies on a regular basis and of all the types of cancers to treat, Lymphoma has the best remission rate (if caught early and treatment started asap). Chemo doesn't seem to be as harsh in animals as in people and they do respond fairly well. In fact, she is thinking of one dog in particular which lived for 4 additional years after being diagnosed with lymphoma. You will know when it's time. Trust your instinct and also ask your vet for their advice. They should be honest about your cat's recovery and prognosis. They should be willing to answer any questions you have regarding the cancer and negative side effects of the chemo. Since you have opted to go the chemo route, I suggest seeing a oncologist or an internal medicine specialist, as they are much more familiar with chemotherapy and treatment protocols.
I'll be purring for you.
I also may have lymphoma and we just stated treating me yesterday.

Harold (RIP- 10/30/10) answered on 12/10/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Ryu

I just got the email from the vet on the biopsy for my Ryu about 2 hours ago that he has small cell lymphoma. Per the vet the recommended therapy for Ryu is prednisone 10 mg daily and Leukeran 2 mg, 1/2 tablet every other day. I'm still in shock and am trying to find out exactly what this is and what to expect.
I hope you get better results and like the other responses I believe that you will know if Gemma is suffering. I hope that things turn out for the best for both of our children.

Ryu answered on 12/10/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

My male (and his mother) had lymphoma when he was 12. I did chemo (pills not IV). We did the chemo course and he lived for a few months after that. I gave him subq fluids when he stopped eating. You will know when Gemma is suffering if she quits eating and is not active or if she starts hiding all the time. Good luck with the chemo, I pray it helps.